Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kids Craft Aprons

On Friday this week I have the absolute honor of going to my son's class and doing Masterpiece Art with them.
What is Masterpiece Art?
It is a non-profit organization that helps expose kids of all ages and grade levels to the world of visual art. As a volunteer you are provided with a poster print of a famous or sometimes not so famous work of art and a packet of information about the artist and their art. You go into a classroom once a month and give the kids a mini art lesson complete with art project.
This week my son chose the poster of Andre Derain's The London Bridge. We are going create our own paintings in the style of Fauvism using bright tempera paint colors. I am a little nervous about letting the kids paint in the classroom. Last time I did that my son spilled a cup of water on the table right unto the little girl sitting across from him... and it was picture day.
This time I am going to be prepared with craft aprons made out of juice pouches for all the kids to keep their clothes clean. As a parent I know this effort will be most appreciated by other parents.
The aprons were very simple to make.
I started by sewing 8 juice pouches together in the same manner that the place mats are made to make the bottom of the apron.


Then I sewed 6 more together to make the top.

I sewed the top and the bottom together being carefull to center the top.

I used a small round plate as a guide to round of the corners of the juice pouches at the top of the apron.

The small opening it created in the pouch made a perfect place to sew the ribbon in for the ties around the neck.

I decided for the waste to have a continuous strip of ribbon across to make the ties.

I could have just used the ribbon on either side for the ties and saved myself some material and money but I liked the way the band across the waist of the apron looked. I used whatever scrap ribbon I had, shopped the clearance ribbon, and bought some from the thrift store and dollar to save myself money.

Thank goodness they were that easy! There are 27 kids in his class!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say. Thank you for leaving your comments.