Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oak Leaf Wreath


Another fun fall project!

I made a wreath out of juice pouches and I have to say that it came out beautifully. Also, I have to confess that while I was making it my hatred for plastic grocery bags seemed to subside a little bit.
That's because I used the plastic bags that I refuse to throw away to make the ring for the wreath.
I tied two bags together at the handles and then tied the bottoms together with some floral wire to make a ring.

With six of these plastic bag rings made I used the floral wire to tie them all together wrapping it around the bags tightly to make a solid ring.

At this point it was not very pretty. When making a wreath in this way the plastic bags need to be covered with something. You can use fabric or ribbon but I decided to stick with juice pouches.

I made a strip of juice pouches and wrapped it around the plastic bag ring. I used some hot glue to secure the ends of the juice pouches and to tack down the ribbon so that it wouldn't move too much.

The leaves that I made were all cut out of individual juice pouches and sewn around the edges. To attach them the wreath I used straight pins with pearl heads to fix them to the wreath. Before I attached them I crumpled them up in a ball to give them more of a three dimensional shape.

I love the way it turn out and I plan to use this same technique to make other wreaths. I think the most fabulous thing about this project is the use of the plastic bags. Wreath forms can be really expensive but using plastic bags and making your own costs pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say. Thank you for leaving your comments.