Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Dutch Costume

My mother aprciated last weeks post and called to tell me what a stinker I was. I had been searching through tons of old photos and had told her I didn't know what I was looking for. If I had told her I was going to post an old photo of her she would have hidden the photos from me.
In the same box as my mom's picture was a photo of me in my favorite Halloween costume that my mother made for me. So I figured since I posted an old photo of my mom that it was only fair to post one of myself (even though the one of me is much more embarasing).
Here it is. I guess there is no use in asking you not to laugh. I can't remember how old I was but I must have been 9 or 10. She altered the skirt to fit me and made all of the other pieces out of fabric and ribbon she had left over from other projects. My father had a pair of reall wooden shoes that I wore with about five pairs of socks to make them fit my feet.
This costume was not only my favorite because my mother made it but because my mother's great grandfather came to America from Holland. One of my favorite memories is visiting my grandmother in Wisconsin and going to the Dutch fetival. I think we have a picture of my brother waring the same wooden shoes while helping to wash the street but I will hold on to that one for blackmail material. It's always good to save some embarasingly cute photos of little brothers to show girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say. Thank you for leaving your comments.