Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lawn Chair Repare

I know I promised more juice pouch bathroom projects but you know how it is when a great project comes up and you just have to get started because you can already see the finished project in your head. Well that's what happened to me this Labor Day weekend and I just couldn't help myself.
My neighbor was cleaning his back yard this weekend when he popped his head over the fence and asked me if I wanted these two lawn chairs that had been left out in the elements. I had to think about it for only two seconds. That's how long it took for me to size them up and decide that all it would take to make them beautiful would be a little sanding, a coat of paint, and some new fabric.

I started by removing the canvas fabric from the chairs. The way the chair was designed made this very easy. All I had to do was slide the triangle rod out of the end of the fabric and take it off the chair.


Next I gave the entire thing a quick but thorough sanding just to knock off all the loose stain and dirt and smooth out the rough wood a bit. After sanding I wiped the wood with a damp cloth to clean off the dust.

Finally I gave the chair a coat of paint. I chose to use a brush to apply latex paint because I was not able to take the individual pieces apart. Spray paint would have been faster but it would have gotten in between the pieces and when it dried the pieces would have been unable to move. Spray paint would have been more expensive too. I went to the hardware store and shopped the "oops" paint. I got a quart of red latex paint for $2.


The last part of the project was to replace the canvas for the seat. Using the original fabric as my pattern I cut and sewed some new canvas fabric to fit the chair and once the chair was completely dry all I had to do was slide the triangle rods back in and I had two perfectly good chairs again. Not to mention darn cute too.



Two chairs that were headed for the trash have become beautiful additions to my outdoor space. The chairs were free and the supplies to fix them cost me $20. I could have done this project for less than $15 but I decided to go with the fancy, printed outdoor fabric from the fabric store which was more expensive. I couldn't help myself. I saw it and I loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say. Thank you for leaving your comments.