Sunday, February 26, 2012

Art Shaow Project

Today I am working on a very special project. Every year the Flagstaff Cultural Partners have a recycled art show at the Coconino County Center for the Arts. This year is the Ninth Annual Recycled Art Exhibition and I thought, "what kind of a juice pouch artist would I be if I didn't enter my work in the show?" So I got inspired and I got to work.
I am entering two items in the show. Even though I love to make bags and purses I decided to make a piece of art to hang on the wall. I guess it would be called a wall hanging. It was inspired by the work of an artist that I am studying for one of my classes, Ross Bleckner. He is a contemporary who paints large abstract images. The image that inspired me is titled Inheritance (2003). Bleckner used an orange-red color and tones of light and gray to make cell like shapes that are connected together in almost concentric circles. The blurred image reminded me of a flower like the lotus blossoms found in the art of eastern Asia.

As I began to think about a similar floral image made out of juice pouches, the title of Bleckner's piece also seemed appropriate to inspire me. When I think about the trend in green energy, recycling, and sustainability, one of the motivations that has always been behind the movement (before it was about saving money) is the kind of environment we want our children and our children's children to inherit. This piece represents that idea.
The other piece that I am entering is, of course, a tote bag. The style of the bag coordinates with the wall hanging. I wanted to show how juice pouches can be turned into something beautiful and something functional. Both being a work of art.
The handles of the bag are something that I have not done before. I created a braid with the juice pouches an attached them to the bag. Each side of the bag is going to have a flower shape on it similar to that of the wall art. All the finishing touches are going into the bag as well. The inside will be lined with fabric, it will have inside pockets, and a magnetic snap closure.
Entries have to be in by April 4th and the opening reception for the recycled art show is on Saturday, April 9th from 6-9 p.m. So I have a lot of work t do to finish all the details. Wish me luck and check back in April to see how it went and my own review of the show.
For more information about the Recycled Art Show in Flagstaff, AZ visit the website for the Flagstaff Cultural Partners www.culturalpartners.org/recycled.htm
Check for recycled art in your area by using the custom Google search at the top of the page.
To comment on this post click on the "comments" link at the top of the post below the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say. Thank you for leaving your comments.